Thursday, March 02, 2006

Empire Falls: Grade F

F

Empire Falls

Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Helen Hunt, Robin Wright Penn, Joanne Woodward

That many big names should have been a tip-off. Also the fact that it was an HBO release. The warning signs were there, I ignored them. Every sentence, gesture, picture, costume, sound, set, and even every lighting angle is painfully contrived. Each scene made me groan in disbelief at the banality, stereotypes and clichés, often chosen in obvious contradiction to realism and rationality. If you like Norman Rockwell illustrations and afternoon TV, you’ll like this movie. The scary part is that a lot of people did like it. With just a little imagination the filmmakers could have pushed it over the top into parody, but sadly, everyone seems to take this as a serious movie. This is what happens when people with too much money and no judgment are in charge. Something positive? It could be used in film school as a negative example.

2 comments:

  1. I was really disappointed in this film because I'm a Russo, Newman, fan. Doesn't compare in the least to Nobody's Fool, which is one of my all time favorite films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent seen that one. I'll take a look, thanks.

    ReplyDelete