Sunday, May 07, 2006

Brokeback Mountain: Grade A

A

Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal. Director=Ang Lee

I put off seeing this DVD because despite all the praise it has garnered, why would I want to watch gay cowboys, for heaven’s sake? Nobody should let love slip past, but I just don’t enjoy watching men passionately kissing. But I rented the movie anyway because it is a cultural icon now and I don’t want to get too isolated. I was surprised how good it is. First of all it is visually beautiful. The Wyoming scenery is magnificent and for us westerners who have spent many happy hours in the mountains, that was very attractive. The love story does not develop well however. The two guys get drunk and without a word, suddenly hump each other in a tent. I guess that could happen, but there is no clue prior to that moment that it would. So I just had to suspend my disbelief at that point. After that turn of events however, the story of their forbidden love (they meet in 1963), and the problems it causes over the course of 20 years, is extremely well written, acted, and directed. It becomes a significant human drama, not just a “gay cowboy” story. Heath Ledger is amazing the way he brings so much depth to the character with just a grunt or a gesture. He is destined for greatness. This movie is way better than Crash, which won out for best picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment