Sunday, September 10, 2006

Friends with Money: Grade A

A
Friends with Money
Jennifer Aniston, Joan Cusack, Catherine Keener, Frances McDormand; Writer-Director Nicole Holofcener.
I’m giving a generous “A” because I love all these actors, even Aniston, who has persuaded me that she really knows what she’s doing. Her character is unlikely, a housecleaner who can’t get a date. What are the odds? But she does a fine job with the role. Her three girlfriends are rich. What are the odds? There is some hilarious satire of the wealthy that hits easy targets, but dead center. There is no real story, just girls having lunch together and being unintentionally funny. There is a funny bit with one of the women’s husbands being naively gay. Joan Cusack is just riveting; can’t get enough of her. McDormand breaks out of “Fargo” mode and does a great, original job. Keener is actually the weakest of the bunch, but still compelling. Very strong directing. Great sets. Great writing. Can’t remember any music.

1 comment:

  1. Your assessment is correct, Gunilla. My reviews are idiosyncratic. Is there any other way to review a movie? At least I try to give reasons for my opinions. The grade is subjective, of course. The purpose of the blog is that if you have seen some of these movies and agree with my opinion, then you might find other movies that you would like, from my reviews.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete